Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Pllowcase dress

So I am trying to get back into sewing, and since I haven't done a whole lot with sewing in the first place I wanted to start out easy. I decided to make a pillowcase dress for Addie for Easter. It was fairly quick and easy. It was the perfect thing to get re-acquainted with the sewing machine, and it was fun to do. I just googled pillowcase dress instructions and went from there. The only thing I would suggest if anyone is interested in trying this is to make the cuts for the arm holes 1-1 1/2 inches instead of 3 inches, and then I just hemmed the arm holes instead of using bias tape because I sewed on ribbons to tie over the shoulders. Other than that the steps are pretty easy and then it is fun to add on any decorations you want.



This dress ended up being a little bit longer than I intended, but Addie will be able to wear it for a long time now since she is growing so fast. So happy sewing to anyone who wants to try.

6 comments:

Potters said...

The dress looks cute. You did a great job!

Matt and Jessica Stevenson said...

It turned out so cute! I have a sewing machine but i don't know how to use it...someday i will learn.

Mindy said...

That is so cute I love it. I might have to try that :) It was so fun to see you guys. Thanks so much for stopping by,

The Chatterton Family said...

I just pulled my sewing machine out too. Made some baby bibs and a dress. I still need a LOT of practice needed though. I tried to make this dress....

http://kojodesigns.blogspot.com/2009/08/kojo-tutorial-jcrew-y-ruffle-dress-from.html

Not sure if the one I made will fit a baby,toddler, or me! I'll have to try it on all the girls in June.

amanda said...

way cute! who knew....thanks for letting us come over the other night! we had so much fun! it was nice to finally catch up!

Emichan said...

That is so cute! You're so talented, I think I could barely sew on a button if I tried! =)